Sunday, May 11, 2014

Stuttering New York

I am back from my US / New York. Jelena and myself, we met a few people from the stuttering community. First of all, a big thank you to Ora, a long-term reader of TSB and a person who stutters, and Dan for their hospitality. I met Ora the last time I was New York when he had responded to my call through the TSB blog to meet up with people from the NY stuttering community.

I also met up with Eric Jackson, the ex co-host of StutterTalk and his fiancee. He is currently doing a PhD in stuttering (what else?), and they took us to a concert at Williamsburg. We didn't have enough to talk through details.

We also met up with Chaya, who is a person who stutter and an SLT. 

And finally, the American Institute for Stuttering (AIS) (many thanks to Carl Herder) invited me to give a presentation / lead a discussion round on stuttering research. I presented my framework that allows to describe all aspects of stuttering, and I talked about my neurologically based demands and capacity theory. But it was not a monologue (or at least I hope so!) with many questions and comments on theories of stuttering. Again, not enough time really. It was so noisy, and I asked Carl if he could close the windows, and Heather said: they are closed, it's Manhattan! ;-)