The author of this article is completely misinterpreting the likelihood of a cure: read here.
But of course that will prevent virtually no mainstream journalist and desperate pws to jump on the bandwagon.
Let me clarify the stuttering mouse hype:
1) this mutation as far as I understand occurs in 5% of all people who stutter. So even if those people could be cured, the remaining 95% would not.
2) even if the mutation is proven to cause it and we would know the causal link between mutation and neurobiology vulnerable to jams in the brain, there is no guarantee that the damage done by the mutation change be counteracted.
3) even if an antidote to the mutation can be found, e.g. by providing the body with the missing proteins that the mutation did not produce, the protein might have been critical for proper development of neurobiology and thus will only help children who are developing their neurobiology but not adult brains. A bit like it is too late to use better cement once the house is built!
4) even if an antidote exists, it is not clear whether it has side effects.
1) a hype for a cure, even if completely misguided, could lead to political pressure to put much more money into stuttering. Why are you financing stuttering research, you terrible politicians??? Do you want to be responsible that little stuttering kids are cured?
2) it is the first example of proving that genes are correlated with stuttering behaviour and untangling the causal link will definitely help us understand at least 5% of stuttering.